[Haskell] Comments from Brent Fulgham on Haskell and the shootout

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 2 07:22:50 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:00 +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> ... this remembered me another important question. who is determined
> which projects to include in Google SoC financing? i read the
> proposals list and was very pleased by final choice of financed
> projects - it's really what i consider as most important areas for
> Haskell infrastructure growth - network, installation, byte strings,
> data structures. the only two projects not supported that was
> interesting for me, is about optimization - one about adding something
> to speed up programs compiled by GHC (i don't remember exactly),
> second - about further development of JHC. why these projects was not
> selected? it were no students interested or these projects considered
> as less important? can i next year participate in discussion/election
> of projects that will be supported?

The applications were reviewed and ranked by a number of mentors who
signed up. Paolo wrote to the haskell list in April to announce that
haskell.org was a mentoring organisation and to ask for mentors and
project ideas.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-April/017898.html

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/

You are certainly welcome to sign up next year.

Duncan