[Haskell] Can someone provide a summary of best Sudoku solver times?

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Sun Jul 9 17:49:47 EDT 2006

Murray Gross wrote:
 > I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could provide a summary of the best
 > times recently posted for Haskell Sudoku solvers so I can compare them
 > with some experimental code I have.
 >
 > Since the Sudoku puzzle is incidental to the purpose of my code, I'd just
 > like to find out whether or not my current code is working in the
 > neighborhood of "the good stuff." Right now, easy puzzles go under in 4 or
 > 5 seconds, evil puzzles range from about 12 seconds to just under 2
 > minutes on a 650 MHz Duron.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Murray Gross

I improved the speed and strength of my solver and it finishes the 36638 puzzles
of http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~gordon/sudoku17 in 3885 seconds.  It can solve
all but 164 without guessing, and averages greater 9 puzzles per second on a
1.33 GHz PPC Mac OS X laptop using ghc-6.4.2

Most of those puzzles (about 91.5%) are particularly simple and go especially
quickly.  The next 8.1% of the puzzles use more expensive deductive methods, and
the remaining 0.4% do depth first guessing.

--
Chris