[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Edison 1.2

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 3 13:54:11 EDT 2006

Fellow Haskellers,

I am pleased to announce the final, stable release of Edison 1.2.  Edison is a
library of efficient, purely-functional data structures for Haskell.  Many
thanks to all of you who helped with your comments and suggestions during the
release candidate phase!

Edison 1.2 represents the first major release of Edison in several years and
my first release as maintainer.  The following list highlights major changes
since the 1.1 release:

    * Typeclasses updated to use functional dependencies
    * Several new implementations
    * Modules renamed to use the hierarchical module extension
    * Documentation haddockized
    * Source moved to a darcs repository
    * Build system cabalized
    * Unit tests integrated into a single driver program which exercises all
the concrete implementations shipped with Edison

The project homepage is located at:

http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/edison.html

API documentation is avaliable at:

http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/docs/edison/index.html

And the main source distribution may be downloaded from:

http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/projects/edison-1.2-source.tar.gz

Distribution package maintainers may be interested in the following
split-source distributions:

http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/projects/edison-core-1.2-source.tar.gz
http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/projects/edison-api-1.2-source.tar.gz

I would also like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in
making Edison better.  The following list represents the things that Edison
currently most needs.  If you are interested in helping, please let me know!

   *  Additional implementations.  Edison currently has a fairly large
collection of sequence implementations, but few collection or associated
collection implementations.

   *  Benchmarking suite.  Edison needs a comprehensive benchmarking suite to
allow objective comparison of different data structure implementations on
various workloads. (perhaps the Auburn project could be revived?)

   *  Documentation.  The API is extensively documented, but the individual
implementations are rather sparsly documented.  Also, only sequences
currently have time complexity data.

   *  Users! Your experiences help me know how to improve Edison. If you
decide to use or experiment with Edison, consider droping me an email to let
me know what you like and don't like about Edison.  After all, the squeaky
wheel gets the grease!

Enjoy!
Rob Dockins

Talk softly and drive a Sherman tank.
Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
       -- TMBG