[Haskell] A road for Haskell into the kernel of a full-fledged OS

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 12:11:15 EDT 2006

Hello Jaap,

Friday, June 16, 2006, 7:27:32 PM, you wrote:

> I like Haskell a lot, but I chose to use OCaml for this work because
> the practicalities of porting the compiler were a little easier to
> manage. GHC would be rather harsh on the fairly primitive MINIX memory
> management system, although I must admit I have not yet tried to port
> Haskell to MINIX, so this is purely a conjecture.

afaik, GHC is very primitive in this area - it just eats OS memory in
megabyte chunks and never returns it back. also, if you don't search
for speed (and in terms of low-level speed even GHC is far away from
OCaml), you can try YHC compiler - it requires less memory and time
for compilation and in overall designed as highly portable Haskell
compiler with best debugging facilities

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com