[Haskell] Haskell as a disruptive technology?

Dusan Kolar kolar at fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Mar 27 08:59:45 EST 2006

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Paul Johnson <paul at cogito.org.uk> wrote:
>

>> Is there a market that is poorly served by the incumbent languages for
>> which Haskell would be an absolute godsend?
>>

> Yes.  Safety critical systems, encompassing everything from avionics to
> railway signalling equipment, to medical devices.  These markets are
> relatively small / low-volume, with needs for high assurance, and better
> development times.

Well, the market is growing and not that small. ;-) Think of mobile
phones and cars, for instance, they are "full" of embedded computers.

> However, despite these appealing characteristics, I would say Haskell is
> still currently unsuitable for those areas.
>
>   * These tend to be embedded systems, with daunting memory, speed, and
>     power-consumption limits.
>   * Analysing and guaranteeing performance characteristics (time,
>     memory) is something we still can't do well with Haskell.

Well, is it a problem to make GC a deterministic task or there is a
problem that a program may run out of memory unpredictably? Can you be
more explicit, or link to some article?

Regards

  Dusan