[Haskell] SYB Documentation is inconclusive.

Ralf Lammel Ralf.Lammel at microsoft.com
Thu Nov 23 17:22:21 EST 2006

Arthur,

constrFields eventually returns some mangled strings from the abstract syntax tree; see ghc-fptools/ghc/compiler/basicTypes/DataCon.lhs; and that abstract syntax promises to be order-preserving.

It says (not surprisingly):

       dcFields  :: [FieldLabel],
                -- Field labels for this constructor, in the
                -- same order as the argument types;
                -- length = 0 (if not a record) or dataConSourceArity.

gmapQ maps the children to results. Since it is a map, it is order-preserving. There is not even any associatively business in the case of gmapQ (as opposed to gmapQl and gmapQr).

So zipping together results from gmapQ and constrFields plus handling the special case of non-record types, should be just fine, no? What could possibly go wrong? Perhaps you are saying that the documentation of constrFields should promise explicitly that it does not mangle order?

Let me know if I don't get what you are after ... perhaps in the café.

Ralf