[Haskell] Re: Implicit type of numeric constants

Robert Stroud R.J.Stroud at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 11:25:43 EDT 2006

Dear Arie,

Thank you for your answers to my questions - I'd spotted the section
on ambiguous types and defaults in the language manual, but I hadn't
appreciated that it might be applicable in this situation because I
didn't know that show and read could be applied to (almost) all types.

However, I still think there's a bit of an inconsistency here. I
understand that if k had the type "Num a => a", then the expression
"show k" would be ambiguous, but unless I write that expression,
there's no ambiguity...

So it seems to me that the type checker is being a bit too eager to
prevent something that hasn't happened yet.

In contrast, in the case where I write "let k = 2 ...", the type
checker seems happy to resolve the polymorphic type within the
context of the let expression, and does what I expect.

So is the problem that the context is effectively unbounded when I
load the definition from a file, and hence the type checker has to be
very conservative about preventing the ambiguity?

I'm afraid I'm also still not clear about why 2 doesn't default to
2::Integer in the same way that k defaults to k::Integer, but that's
probably because I don't understand polymorphic types properly yet.

Thanks again,

Robert