[Haskell] Re: ANN: encoding-0.1 release

Henning Günther h.guenther at tu-bs.de
Thu Aug 2 08:22:48 EDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 02.08.2007, 13:50 +0200 schrieb Stephane Bortzmeyer:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:22:56PM +0200,
>  Henning Günther <h.guenther at tu-bs.de> wrote
>  a message of 26 lines which said:
>
> > 	UTF-8, -16, -32
>
> Thanks, but this is only the sixth or seventh free library to do UTF-8
> in Haskell :-)
Yes, but it uses ByteStrings for conversion, unlike most others which
use Strings. I think this approach is much more cleaner.

> Yes, I recognize that you also handle other encodings, but wouldn't it
> be better to have one standard library, available with every Haskell
> compiler, out of the box?

Well, all haskell compilers are of course free to adopt my library (or
parts of it) into their standard library. See it as a standard proposal.

> Specially, the fact there is no one standard Haskell UTF-8 I/O library
> is a real problem.

There could be one now :) Question is, do you like the API? That's the
most crucial question in adopting something like this as a standard, the
rest is implementation detail.