[Haskell] 3 PhD Stipends in Functional Programming and Many-Cores

Sven-Bodo Scholz S.Scholz at herts.ac.uk
Wed Dec 5 09:46:04 EST 2007

                PHD STUDENTSHIPS IN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES

                      School of Computer Science
                     University of Hertfordshire, UK

Applications are invited for a 3-year PhD studentship in the Compiler
Technology and Computer Architecture group within the School of Computer
Science.  We can offer three EU-funded PhD studentships as part of the
EU projects "Self-Adaptive Embedded Technologies for Pervasive Computing
Architectures" (Aether) and "Architecture Paradigms and Programming Languages
for Efficient Programming of Multiple Cores" (Apple-CORE).

The advent of multicore processors has raised new demand for techniques
that allow mainstream programmers to effectively utilise machines with
a rapidly growing amount of concurrency available at the hardware
level.  In both of the aforementioned EU-projects we address that
challenge using functional techniques.  While the Aether project is
concerned with a stream-processing approach based on the language S-Net
(<http://snet.feis.herts.ac.uk/>), the Apple-CORE project investigates the
suitability of a novel micro-threaded hardware architecture as a compilation
target for functional programming languages such as the high-performance
language SaC (<http://www.sac-home.org/>).  The architecture under
consideration is developed by our partners at the University of Amsterdam
(<http://www.science.uva.nl/research/csa/microgrids.html>).

To strengthen our research team we are looking for up to three new PhD
students, who want to be involved in the theoretical and practical aspects
of programming language and compiler research for the upcoming generation
of highly parallel hardware architectures.

Applicants should have a good honours degree or equivalent in a relevant
discipline. Experience in any of the following areas is desireable:
functional programming, compiler construction, type systems, concurrency
theory, high-performance computing, or scientific applications.

Successful applicants will become a member of the Compiler Technology and
Computer Architecture group at the University of Hertfordshire, a rapidly
expanding centre for research  on functionally inspired approaches to the
efficient utilisation of highly parallel architectures. The group currently
comprises 4 academic staff, 1 research staff, and 4 PhD students plus a
regular influx of shorter-term research visitors from other labs in the EU,
Japan, and the US.

The studentships come with a usually tax-free stipend of approximately
GBP 12,600 per annum with all tuition fees and research costs being covered
separately.  Although the studentships do not include any teaching obligations,
teaching experience can be gained by taking up extra duties which are paid
for on an hourly basis.

Further details regarding the studentships and how to apply are available
from Mrs Lorraine Nicholls, Research Student Administrator, STRI, Faculty of
Engineering and Information Sciences, University of Hertfordshire, College
Lane, Hatfield, Herts, AL10 9AB, UK. Tel: +44 (0) 1707 286083 Fax: +44 (0)
1707 284185 or email: L.Nicholls at herts.ac.uk. Note, all applications must be
made via Lorraine Nicholls. Informal discussions with one of the potential
PhD supervisors, Dr Sven-Bodo Scholz (S.Scholz at herts.ac.uk), are encouraged
before handing in an application.

The short-listing process will beginn on 9. January 2008.

| Dr Sven-Bodo Scholz            Email : S.Scholz at herts.ac.uk                |
| School of Computer Science                                                 |
| University of Herfordshire     Web   : hompages.feis.herts.ac.uk/~comqss/  |
| College Lane Campus                                                        |
| Hatfield, Herts, AL10 9AB, UK  Phone : +44 (0)1707 28 6403                 |