[Haskell] [Fwd: Re: Computer Language Shootout]

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Tue Feb 27 07:59:02 EST 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 13:44, Andrzej Jaworski wrote:
> I have learned logic from much deeper sources;-)
> My statement was:
> Guys started in Haskell and got to conclusion that for performance reasons
> it is better to move to C.  The guys know what they are doing.
>
> I hope that helps;-)

Hmmm, is there any paper/blog/etc. describing exactly what the performance
problems were? If something is too slow, usually either the language
implementor or the language user can learn something. Furthermore, when
moving from programming language X to Y and seeing performance improvements,
it is more often than not the case that the reason for this is not that Y is
faster than X, but that one has learned a lot about the problem when
implementing in X. So in general you see an improvement even when X == Y,
i.e. dump your old Haskell code and start from scratch.

Cheers,
   S.