[Haskell] Re: [Fwd: Re: Computer Language Shootout]

apfelmus at quantentunnel.de apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Feb 27 10:45:25 EST 2007

Andrzej Jaworski wrote:
> Nevertheless my point is still valid: when on compiler side the heap is
> stretched and on program side you need Ockham's Razor in action Haskell
> chokes. I hoped at least to stimulate interest in repeating GP experiment
> with latest GHC version.  This could make a hot publication and save nice
> people from reappearance of this thread:-)
>
> (the experiment:
> http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/stg/sfpw/book/Garmendia-Doval/cameraready.ps)

It's no wonder that code like

   Prelude.foldl (f) (k, False, 0.0) (BoolVector.assocs bs)

chokes. Here, bs is an immutable array,

Also, the SML version uses Vectors, "polymorphic vectors, immutable
sequences with constant-time access". I wonder how immutable these are.
I suspect that changing elements does updates in place with history
tracking?

Regards,
apfelmus