[Haskell] (Succ Haskell') `and` $ dependent types

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Tue Jul 17 09:23:27 EDT 2007

Am Samstag, 14. Juli 2007 23:04 schrieb Vivian McPhail:
> […]

> They say that haskell programmers are normally averse to dependent types.

So I’m far away from being normal.

> […]

> What are peoples' thoughts on adding dependent types to haskell as a
> non-incremental evolutionary step?

I think that a functional language with dependent types is a great thing but I
doubt that it is good to extend Haskell in this regard since the presence of
bottom is problematic in the context of dependent types.  And if you want to
use the power of dependent types effectively, you’ll often have to use some
kind of specialized editor which removes some of the additional work which is
introduced by using dependent types.  So I think, it’s more reasonable to
improve a system like Epigram to get a system which is applicable to real
world problems.

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang