[Haskell] Power series in a nutshell

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Tue Jul 17 09:35:33 EDT 2007

Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2007 11:47 schrieb Bas van Dijk:
> […]

> GHC HEAD has support for overloaded String literals. See:
>
> http://haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide/other-type-extensions.
> html#overloaded-strings

These are really good news!

However, the identifier IsString is problematic.  We don’t have classes IsEq,
IsOrd and IsNum, so why should there be IsString?  Is there any chance that
this identifier gets changed at some time?

As an aside, the identifier State has a similar problem since the
corresponding type is about state transformers, not states.  It’s problematic
if you want to talk about states and state transformers in your program and
you name them both “state”.

In my opinion, we should care that all libraries get cleaned up (not only
regarding identifiers) before they become part of a standard – even if this
reduces compatibility.  What do others think?

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang