[Haskell] small boys performance

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:32:31 EDT 2007

On 3/14/07, Andrzej Jaworski <himself at poczta.nom.pl> wrote:

> A thing
> where Haskell could potentially offer something that a regular CAS cannot is
> calculating a tensors with symbolic indices (without components)
> so that one could have components calculated for specific cases on the end
> of general calculation.

I have a mathematics/theoretical physics background so I ought to
understand what you're asking for but it's not quite clear in my mind.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? For example I can't quite tell if
you're talking about something that would subsume CAS into Haskell or
would be an alternative to CAS. And I'm not exactly sure what you mean
by "without components" because despite plenty of theorems being
provable in a basis-free manner, when you want to calculate things you
usually end up needing components. Maybe you could actually give an
example of something you'd want to calculate or even sketch a couple
of lines from an interaction with the system you imagine.
--
Dan