[Haskell] Fingerprints and hashing

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Oct 11 14:45:35 EDT 2007

I am zero training in cryptography, but I would think that if in
addition to

   FP(as ++ bs) = FP(bs) `plusFPFlipped` FP(as)

(I think the flipped plusFP def is more intuitive)

there also existed a minusFP for all f and x such that

   FP(bs) = FP(as ++ bs) `minusFP` FP(as)

then that might facilitate common subexpression refactorization in the
merging of two hashes of memoized expressions.

One example of such an minusFP (not recommended) is (foldr xor 0):

That xor is its own inverse is no advantage. But xor is associative and
(xor 0) is an identity, so FP([] ++ as) = FP(as ++ []) = FP(as) as
expected. There must be more robust such monoidal functors out there.

Refactorization could be limited to respect substructure boundaries
reflected in the serialization.

Dan Weston