[Haskell] (no subject)

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:39:31 EDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Tomi Owens <t.owens at hautlieu.sch.je> wrote:

> Hi there. I'm a teacher of Maths and am working my way through the Euler
> Project problems for fun. I have mostly been using Basic, but have read up
> about Haskell and think it looks like a sensible way to solve many of the
> problems.

I see others have already answered your immediate question; however, I
thought I'd throw in some general comments.  Project Euler is indeed a great
way to learn some Haskell, but you will certainly run into problems with the
numeric types (as you already have).  Haskell is very picky about numeric
types (for good reason!), and until you get used to it, it can be a big pain
and a source of some confusion.  I highly recommend that you read about type
classes, and you may also want to read something like
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Converting_numbers.  As someone else already
mentioned, asking questions in the #haskell IRC channel on
irc.freenode.netis also an excellent way to learn things and get past
error messages and
things like this which are probably simple, but you just can't figure out.

Hope this helps,
-Brent