[Haskell] question about a failure to generalize

Tom Pledger tom at pledger.gen.nz
Mon Sep 17 01:07:59 EDT 2007

Quoting Stefan O'Rear <stefanor at cox.net>:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:15:10PM +1200, Tom Pledger wrote:
>> Norman Ramsey wrote:
>>  :
>>  | This code fails to compile because the compiler is willing to
>>  | use 'fold' at only one type (CmmExpr as it happens)
>>  :
>>
>> When it failed to compile, was
>>
>>     fold = foldRegsUsed
>>
>> a top-level declaration in the module, rather than local to foldRegsUsed?
>>
>> If so, try working around the monomorphism restriction by changing from a
>> pattern binding to a function binding.
>>
>>     fold f = foldRegsUsed f
>
> The monomorphism restriction is not affected by top-level-or-not, see
> sections 4.5.1 and 4.5.5 in the Haskell 98 Language and Libraries
> Report.
>
> Stefan

Aargh!  Sorry, I'm having a Bad Details Day.  3 in 1 message:

   - Overlooking the "to make the code work, I had to expand 'fold'
     into 'foldRegsUsed' everywhere it appears" part in the original
     question,

   - Chopping a letter out of Norman's email address, and

   - Mixing up the MR with other issues, possibly something from the
     binding groups section of Typing Haskell In Haskell.

The one saving grace is that I tested my suggestion before posting,
and it worked.  :-)

- Tom