[Haskell] Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Galois web libraries for Haskell released

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Apr 22 13:20:34 EDT 2008

jgoerzen:
> On Mon April 21 2008 1:11:19 pm Don Stewart wrote:
> > Galois, Inc. is pleased to announce the open source release of a suite of
> > web programming libraries for Haskell!
>
> Lots of cool stuff here!  A few questions:
>
> >   * xml
> >         A simple, lightweight XML parser/generator.
> >
> >         http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/xml
>
> Can you describe how this compares to HaXml?  Were there deficiencies in
> HaXml?

Much smaller, fewer dependencies. I think of it as the "tagsoup"
of xml parsers.

> >   * sqlite
> >         Haskell binding to sqlite3 <http://sqlite.org/>, a light, fast
> >         database.
> >
> >         http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/sqlite
>
> Similar questions here regarding HDBC.  Did HDBC (and HDBC-sqlite3) not
> address some need?

Yes, we needed full, low-level access to sqlite for some unusual use cases.
For high level stuff, HDBC and Takusen are nicer.

> >   * feed
> >         Interfacing with RSS (v 0.9x, 2.x, 1.0) and Atom feeds
> >
> >         http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/feed
>
> Sweet.  Might have to refactor hpodder to use this.
>

> >   * mime
> >         Haskell support for working with MIME types.
> >
> >         http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/mime
>
> FWIW, I have some similar but slightly different functions in MissingH.
>
> http://software.complete.org/static/missingh/doc//MissingH/Data-MIME-Types.html
>
> hsemail and WASH both also have some stuff in this area.  Probably not as
> nice as yours though.

We should probably bundle up a bunch of the small mime libs into
a single package at some point.

-- Don