[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: multiset 0.1

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Thu Feb 7 05:07:40 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2008 02:43 schrieb Twan van Laarhoven:
> Hello,
>
> I have just uploaded version 0.1 of the multiset library to hackage. This
> package provides Data.MultiSet and Data.IntMultiSet modules. A multiset or
> bag is like a set, but it can contain multiple copies of the same element.
>
> The library is already pretty much finished, maybe I should have called it
> 1.0. It implements the same interface as Data.Set, with some additional
> functions specific to multisets.
>
> Hackage:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/multiset-0.1
> Haddock: http://twan.home.fmf.nl/multiset/doc/
> Darcs:   http://twan.home.fmf.nl/repos/multiset/
>
> Twan

Hello,

this is interesting.  A few days ago I discovered that I needed such a library
and decided to implement it myself.  However, I had not started yet when I
received your e-mail.

A bit of criticism concerning the name: According to the English Wikipedia,
multiset is a single word.  So the identifiers should be Multiset and
IntMultiset instead of MultiSet and IntMultiSet.  However, I think it would
be even better to just use Bag and IntBag as identifiers.  Those are shorter
and maybe easier to remember.  After all, the term bag is fairly standard.

I think that actually your multiset/bag implementation should be a part of the
containers package.  So why not ask the maintainers of the containers package
for permission to add your implementation and change the identifiers to Bag
and IntBag during this process?  This would be great.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang