[Haskell] Re: on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 08:40:31 EDT 2008

Please allow me to thank everybody for their feedback.

So far, including the three private messages I have received, there
have been the following responses on creating a new mailing list for
Haskell:

Haskell-Beginner (or Haskell-Edu for beginners):
  8 votes

Haskell-Edu (for teaching):
  2 votes

No new mailing lists:
  1 vote

Undecided:

  1 vote

So, 8/12 of the responses have been in favor of creating some kind of
new mailing list for education, with 8/10 of those being in favor of
creating a new list for beginners, and 2/10 of those being in favor of
creating a new list for teachers.  Other than that, 1/12 of the votes
has been in favor of not creating a new list unless "the perceived
problem is the high-brow stuff scaring newbies off," and 1/12 of the
votes has been undecided.

It seems that the consensus is in favor of creating some kind of new
list for beginners, with a less urgent possibility of creating another
new list for teachers.

I would be happy to spend the time to administer the new mailing list
if that is acceptable.

The only issue is the name of the new list, though:  it would seem a
better idea to keep the name mnemonic and short, with the suffix
following "Haskell-" within three or four characters.  Typing
"haskell-beginner at haskell.org" seems a bit of a hassle;
"haskell-edu at haskell.org" seems much better.

The only possible problem is that it would then make later creating a
second list just for teachers more difficult, but this seems rather
unlikely at the moment.  Also, I doubt that a teachers-only list would
be able to gather enough critical mass to stay alive, because then
only teachers would participate.  I don't see why teachers wouldn't be
able to participate together with students in consulting each other as
to what topics to offer in beginner courses.

Therefore, I would suggest the following new mailing list.  To save
your time, may I suggest the following entries for the fields at
"Create a haskell.org Mailing List"
(http://haskell.org/mailman/create):

Name of List:  Haskell-Edu

Initial list owner address:  DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com

Auto-generate initial list password?:  Yes

Should new members be quarantined before they are allowed to post
unmoderated to this list?  No

Initial list of supported languages.  English
(If possible, Japanese and French also, since I know several members
of a local Haskell Category Theory user group in Tokyo who could also
participate in such a list, and know the name of at least one
professor in France who occasionally contributes to Haskell-related
topics.  Other relevant languages could also be welcome.)

Send "list created" email to list owner?  Yes

In addition, for the "List" and "Description" columns at "haskell.org
mailing lists - Admin Links", the following entries might be
applicable:

List:  Haskell-Edu
teaching Haskell

What do you think, Simon?