[Haskell] Re: on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:37:52 EDT 2008

2008/7/11 Dave Bayer <bayer at cpw.math.columbia.edu>:
> On Jul 11, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Chad Wilson wrote:
>
>> From previous experience with this sort of thing (the expansion of
>> usage for a list(s)), I am thinking you guys have entered a territory
>> better served by a forum.  One subscription gets you access to the
>> cafe, announcements, n00b section, teachers, core functions, etc.
>> While a forum lacks the convenience of using your e-mail client, it
>> does offer a better organization and clearer interface to where the
>> information should be posted.
>
> Yes!!
>
> I participate in various lists and various forums. That Haskell
> uses lists has crippled my participation here; I am quite sure I am
> not alone. Nabble and the like do not substitute for real forum
> software.
>
> I know the counter-arguments in favor of lists, but most of us
> _do_ _not_ use an emacs mode for our email. Hasn't nearly
> everyone who does gone off to write their own Lisp? It truly
> boggles my mind that Haskell doesn't use a forum, but this is
> a discussion I gave up on entering, till the above message.
>
> Haskell wants to grow. Sticking to lists keeps it a "tree house"
> language.
>
> Now, we're so balkanized, I'd have to go back and rejoin
> the other Haskell lists I dropped, if I wanted to stir this up.
> Anyone else interested, who's on the other lists?
>
> Lurkers unite?

Hi,

Well, in my opinion, annoucements a better served with a mailing list.
Usage of an mailing list is "push" while forum is "pull". This is because
I check my mails regardless I want to see haskell-related stuffs or not.
Thus I can spot announces.

This is why I kept registered on the haskell (and -cafe) mailing list(s).
I don't use haskell regularly but want to keep me informed.

This is even truer since I follow (like everybody I guess) many lists.

Cheers,
Thu