[Haskell] Re: on starting Haskell-Edu, a new education-related Haskell-related mailing list

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 01:17:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:28:53 +0100, "Claus Reinke"
<claus.reinke at talk21.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

>What is needed is a discussion of list charter. The only thing I've
>seen was "Discussion about beginner questions and issues in
>teaching Haskell", with the implicit assumption that those beginners
>are non-academic students, but in some form of education/school.

How about the following mailing list description?

"Discussion about beginner issues in learning Haskell"

Would this be suitable?

>If that is the target, with the idea that teachers can point their
>students someplace suitable, and students/teachers can meet
>others in the same boat, then edu at haskell or school at haskell
>might work.

Yes, I partially agree with haskell-edu at haskell.org, but this has
already been discussed (by Paul Hudak, at 04:38 on 2008/07/09); viz.:

> I would also be interested in a haskell-edu list, but as I said before I
> don't think the demand for it is as great as that for haskell-beginners.

The overall reasoning by users against that name was that it was not
suitable because it confused teaching and learning, without clearly
separating the two issues.  Would you have an argument that I could
use to refute this theory?

-- Benjamin L. Russell