[Haskell] Google summer of code

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 09:11:57 EST 2008

			Google Summer of Code

As many of you will already know, Google is running its "Summer of Code"
project again this year, and haskell.org is once again going to apply to
be a mentoring organisation.  Are you a student who would like to earn
money for hacking in Haskell?  Or are you a non-student who has a cool
idea for a coding project but no time to do it yourself?

Well, our wiki to gather ideas is now up-and-running again:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code

Add yourself to the list of interested people!  Especially potential
mentors.

There are some ideas still there from last year, in the trac tickets.
However, due to the amount of spam accumulating there, I suggest that
this year, we use the haskell-cafe email list as a place to put out
project ideas, solicit feedback on them, and look for interested people.
Prefix any message subject line with with [GSoC] to help others find
them.

Google will start accepting student applications on 24th March, but now
is the time to start gathering thoughts and matching up interesting
ideas with interested people.

The official timeline is as follows:

 March 12: Mentoring organization application deadline
 March 17: List of accepted mentoring organizations published
 March 24: Student application period opens
 March 31: Student application deadline

 Interim Period: we review and rank student proposals
 April 14: List of accepted student applications published

 Interim Period: Students learn more about their project communities
 May 26: Students begin coding; Google begins issuing initial payments
 July 14: Google begins issuing mid-term payments
 August 11: Suggested end of coding
 August 18: Definite end of coding
 Sept 1: Final evaluation deadline; Google begins issuing final payments
 Sept 3: Students upload code to Google (required)

Regards,
    Malcolm