[Haskell] [OT] Plural forms of the word "octopus" [Was: Re: Marketing Haskell]

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 00:52:40 EDT 2009

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:44:13 -0400, ajb at spamcop.net wrote:

>G'day all.
>
>Quoting "Benjamin L.Russell" <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com>:
>
>> Actually, according to the Wikipedia entry for "octopus" (see
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus), I probably should have written
>> the plural as either "octopuses" or "octopodes":
>
>Ah, but "octopodes" is only the _nominative_ plural.  You really
>should have written this:
>
>     Or is that a logo of two octoposi, one with four arms, and the other
>     with three?  Oh no, the poor octopodes!
>
>Or, if the second sentence addresses the octopous, this would be correct:
>
>     Oh no, the poor octopoi!
>
>Hope this helps.  For your homework, what is the plural of "topos"?

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, it is "topoi" (see
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/topos).

Where did you find "octoposi?"  I just searched online, but wasn't
able to find a reference.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^