[Haskell] memory management

Sam Martin sam.martin at geomerics.com
Tue Aug 4 07:30:02 EDT 2009

I'm not quite sure how to describe this, but are you aware of any
research into converting heap allocations into frames on a stack?

For example, many C functions follow this kind of pattern:

void doSomeStuff(..)
{
	// allocate required resources
	int a,b,c;	// finite amount of temp allocations on stack
	int* buffer = malloc(..); // larger (finite) allocation on heap

	// free resources
	free(buffer); // free heap allocations
	// stack allocs popped by compiler.
}

They key aspect is the amount of memory required is calculatable in
advance and allocated/removed in a lump rather than a series of
requests. No pointer-tracking/garbage collection is required.

I can picture similar situations arising in Haskell where for suitable
expressions the compiler could in theory determine that garbage
collection would be unnecessary for a lump of temporary data and simply
allocate/deallocate when starting/finishing evaluating the thunk. The
goal being to simplify garbage collection for this kind of temporary
allocation.

Any thoughts?

Ta,
Sam