[Haskell] ANN: filestore 0.1

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:25:50 EST 2009

ANN filestore 0.1

We are pleased to announce the first release of a new library, filestore.

What is it?  filestore provides a uniform, abstract, generic interface for
storing versioned files on disk.  It allows calling programs to use generic
commands to store strings or binary data and perform various queries,
such as 'what files are in this repository?' or 'what were the contents
of this file at revision XXXXXXX?' or 'give me a diff of this file between
revision XXXXXXX and revision YYYYYYY.'  Because the interface is abstract,
the calling program is insulated from the messy details of the backend
(which might be a VCS or a database).

What backends are supported? Darcs and Git are fully supported. There are
plans for a SQLite backend.

What is this good for? Currently it is used by two wikis, Gitit and
Orchid. We hope it will see use in other applications as well that
need to version data and would like the various advantages of DVCSs
(such as easy collaboration, advanced merging, etc.).

Where can you get it? Your local cabal-install, Hackage at
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/filestore
and of course you can do 'darcs get
http://johnmacfarlane.net/repos/filestore' for the very latest.

filestore was written by John MacFarlane, Gwern Branwen, and Sebastiaan Visser

--
gwern