[Haskell] The speed, size and dependability of programming languages

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:16:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Lyle Kopnicky <lists at qseep.net> wrote:
> Why are Prolog and Mercury among the least expressive?

Well, I don't know about SML/NJ, since I don't see anything obviously
wrong at http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=smlnj&lang2=ghc&box=1

But as for Prolog - I can't help but think of a quote I saw in a
recent paper in LtU, which went something like 'Our first prototype
was written in Prolog, but when we realized that we were using none of
the logic programming features, we decided to rewrite in Haskell.'

--
gwern