[Haskell] Re: Take a break: write an essay for Onward! Essays

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 02:44:10 EST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:41:49 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

>PS: To get your imagination going, here are a couple of (strongly-contrasting) past essays:
>  * Dan Grossman "The transactional memory / garbage collection analogy"
>        http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/djg/papers/analogy_oopsla07.pdf
>  * Dick Gabriel "Designed as designer"
>        http://dreamsongs.org/DesignedAsDesigner.html

One other sample essay mentioned, which I personally find to be quite
useful, is the following:

  * Friedrich Steimann "The paradoxical success of aspect-oriented
programming"
      http://onward-conference.org/files/steimannessay.pdf

Although not specifically related to Haskell or functional
programming, it discusses an apparent paradox in a different
programming paradigm, which could be useful when discussing functional
paradigm-related issues pertaining to Haskell.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^