[Haskell] string type class

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri Mar 6 11:13:43 EST 2009

Am Freitag, 6. März 2009 13:33 schrieb Matthew Pocock:
> Hi,
>
> It seems every time I look at hackage there is yet another stringy
> datatype. For lots of apps, the particular stringy datatype you use matters
> for performance but not algorithmic reasons. Perhaps this is a good time
> for someone to propose a stringy class?
>
> Matthew

There is already the class IsString which was introduced for overloaded string
literals.

However, the name is terrible. No other Haskell class I know of has an “Is” at
its beginning. Classes don’t name properties (IsNum, IsMonoid, Has…).

Maybe you can also try to convince the masters of the IsString class to change
the class name. My previous attempts through mailing list e-mails seemed to
have no effect. :-(

Best wishes,
Wolfgang