[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: graphviz-2009.5.1

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri May 1 02:47:07 EDT 2009

I'd like to announce version 2009.5.1[1] of the graphviz[2] library,
less than a week since Matthew Sackman passed maintainership onto me[3].
The graphviz library provides a Haskell interface to the GraphViz[4]
program.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/graphviz/2009.5.1/graphviz-2009.5.1.tar.gz
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/graphviz
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell@haskell.org/msg21994.html
[4] http://graphviz.org

Major changes with this release are:

* Supports polyparse >= 1.1 (the previous version didn't work with 1.3).

* Requires base == 4.* (i.e. GHC 6.10.*) due to the new exception
  handling.

* Includes functions from my Graphalyze [5] library for actually running
  the various GraphViz commands, etc.

* Slight API breakages:

  - dirCommand, undirCommand and commandFor no longer return String, but
    GraphvizCommand

  - Data.GraphViz.ParserCombinators is no longer exported by the Cabal
    file, since I see no need for anyone to require acccess to this.  If
    this is a problem for you, please let me know and I'll re-export it.

* A lot more Haddock documentation.

* A darcs repository is now available [6].  Patches are welcome!

[5] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Graphalyze
[6] http://code.haskell.org/graphviz

Plans for the future:

* Add support for Data.Graph-style graphs (maybe even making it generic
  such that custom graph types can be used).

* Allow the user to choose whether the graph is directed or undirected.

* Include all attributes offered by the Dot language.

* Remove (or at least minimise) usage of extensions to increase portability.

Oh, and to pre-empt Don, this is already available in the Gentoo-Haskell
overlay ;-)

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com