[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: reference 0.1

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 04:19:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 09:53 +0200, Alberto G. Corona wrote:
> Ah, ok. I though that your intention was to restrict the class
> definition for the IO monad . Goood.
>

> Maybe in the long term, it make sense to include this type class in
> some  monad related package such is mtl, since  references are part of
> many user monads. I think also that some default instances can be
> defined for transformed monads.

Yes - they can.

In fact:

instance (MonadTrans t, Monad (t m),
          Reference r m) => Reference r (t m) where
    newRef = lift . newRef
    readRef = lift . readRef
    writeRef r = lift . writeRef r

instance (MonadIO m, Reference r IO) => Reference r m where
    newRef = liftIO . newRef
    readRef = liftIO . readRef
    writeRef r = liftIO . writeRef r

> It is pleasant for me to read and write something like
>

> x <- readRef rx
>

> rather than
>

> x<- readMyMonadRef sx
>

> Such generalizatiopns may be also good for extracting more common
> patterns among different monads.

Actually the primary need was to create mutable single-linked list for
iteratee-parsec. I didn't wanted to restrict myself to ST or IO so I
choose to add class for them.

Regards