[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: graphviz-2999.12.0.0

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 04:49:24 CEST 2011

It's been a while in coming (I started work on this at the end of last
year!) but I am pleased to announce the latest version of my graphviz
library [1], which acts as a wrapper around the Graphviz [2] suite of
graph visualisation utilities.

[1] : http://projects.haskell.org/graphviz/
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/graphviz
[2]: http://graphviz.org

Major changes in this release (see the changelog [3] for a complete listing):

* A large focus on increasing usability:
    - Examples for all Dot representations against an existing Dot graph
    - Cut-down, easier to use Attribute wrapper (all Attributes still
available from Data.GraphViz.Attributes.Complete if you need any of
the others).
    - graphElemsToDot helps visualise non-FGL graphs (if you can list
all nodes and edges, you can visualise it!)

* Two new Dot representations:
    - One that allows graph-based operations (based upon FGL)
    - Another based upon Andy Gill's dotgen [4] (with permission!) for
easier embedding of relatively static graphs.

* Pure Haskell implementations of `dot -Tcanon` and `tred`.

* Now based upon Text rather than String, which improves performance
for both printing and parsing and also enforces UTF-8 encoding.

* Now easier to do custom I/O with Dot graphs.

[3]: http://projects.haskell.org/graphviz/changelog.html
[4]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dotgen

Unfortunately, this release is largely backwards incompatible in some
ways, but not too much.  Specifically, it didn't take me long to
migrate over Graphalyze [5] and SourceGraph [6], and most of that time
was spent changing over to the new, nicer functions for creating
Attributes.

[5]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Graphalyze
[6]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/SourceGraph

Please let me know if there are any other API improvements that you'd
like to see to improve usage.  I am planning a tutorial (half of the
reason why this release took so long is that I kept thinking "this
functionality would be useful for the tutorial!"; this includes the
graph-based representation, the re-implementation of tred and
canonicalisation, etc.), which should be out in the next month or so
(I'm considering adding nicer syntax for record labels first).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com