[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 166 - January 26, 2011

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 05:14:48 CET 2011

   Welcome to issue 166 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
   the [1]Haskell community. This release covers the week of January 16 to
   22, 2011.

Announcements

   Sukit Tretriluxana [2]proudly announced version 1.0 of SiteBridge. He
   also included a short introductory video.

   Mark Wright [3]annouced the release of a Haskell binding to ANTLR LL(*)
   parser generator C runtime library.

   Jasper Van der Jeugt [4]inveted everyone to the 6th Ghent Functional
   Group Meeting to be held on Feb 17, 2011 in the Technicum Building
   (Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000 Gent) of Ghent University. I know I'm
   not the only one who wishing I could attend!.

Quotes of the Week

     * Guy Steele: Although Fortress is originally designed as an
       object-oriented framework in which to build an array-style
       scientific programming language, [...] as we've experimented with
       it and tried to get the parallelism going we found ourselves pushed
       more and more in the direction of using immutable data structures
       and a functional style of programming. [...] If I'd known seven
       years ago what I know now, I would have started with Haskell and
       pushed it a tenth of the way toward Fortran instead of starting
       with Fortran and pushing it nine tenths of the way toward Haskell.

     * geheimdienst:ah, yes. now we have to make a lambdacat captioned
       "kittehs no bery gud at speling. we says leksah fur lexer and monad
       fur moniod in catagory of ennobunktors"

     * mreh:some jerk said to me over my shoulder once, if you're doing
       functional programming, why do you have all those assignments?

     * revenantphx:You don't need category theory to understand Haskell,
       though you may need it to understand #haskell.

     * tolkad:haskell isn't even turing complete without infinite memory

     * monochrom:C-c C-p was the secret command for sending a report to
       the kgb

     * Draconx|Laptop:Rice's theorem: Let P be an interesting problem that
       you want to solve with a computer. Haha, you're screwed!

     * monochrom:one ring to rule them all! and in your monad >>= them!

Top Reddit Stories

   * Haskell's Own DLL Hell
     Domain: cdsmith.wordpress.com, Score: 51, Comments: 27
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f3lh5/haskells_own_dll_hell/
     Original: http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/haskells-own-dll-hell/

   * [CCC] On how Haskell’s Arrows are NOT just function compositions
with a fancier name
     Domain: ro-che.info, Score: 40, Comments: 4
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f3e06/ccc_on_how_haskells_arrows_are_not_just_function/
     Original: http://ro-che.info/ccc/12.html

   * Announcing the Warp web server (benchmarks inside)
     Domain: docs.yesodweb.com, Score: 36, Comments: 12
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f4bn8/announcing_the_warp_web_server_benchmarks_inside/
     Original: http://docs.yesodweb.com/blog/announcing-warp/

   * The ABCs of semantics
     Domain: haskell.org, Score: 33, Comments: 0
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f4v8f/the_abcs_of_semantics/
     Original: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2011-January/088315.html

   * Thoughts on node.js and Haskell
     Domain: moreindirection.blogspot.com, Score: 33, Comments: 10
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f6o5i/thoughts_on_nodejs_and_haskell/
     Original: http://moreindirection.blogspot.com/2011/01/thoughts-on-nodejs.html

   * A low level performance comparison of simple operations on
unboxed integer arrays between Haskell/GHC (6.12.1) and OCaml (3.12.0)
(and also C) [originally on Proggit]
     Domain: lix.polytechnique.fr, Score: 32, Comments: 16
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f3yf8/a_low_level_performance_comparison_of_simple/
     Original: http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~kaustuv/expo/incr_uarray/

   * The Butterfly Effect in Cabal
     Domain: cdsmith.wordpress.com, Score: 29, Comments: 8
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f4179/the_butterfly_effect_in_cabal/
     Original: http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/the-butterfly-effect-in-cabal/

   * Painless NP-complete problems: an embedded DSL for SMT solving
     Domain: donsbot.wordpress.com, Score: 27, Comments: 2
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f3fp6/painless_npcomplete_problems_an_embedded_dsl_for/
     Original: http://donsbot.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/painless-np-complete-problems-an-embedded-dsl-for-smt-solving/

   * Merging SMT solvers and programming languages
     Domain: corp.galois.com, Score: 26, Comments: 3
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f4r5r/merging_smt_solvers_and_programming_languages/
     Original: http://corp.galois.com/blog/2011/1/18/merging-smt-solvers-and-programming-languages.html

   * Tell Haskellers: GHC's Trac now has source code browsing (courtesy of Git)
     Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 26, Comments: 3
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/f6391/tell_haskellers_ghcs_trac_now_has_source_code/
     Original: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/browser

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Criticize simple monad
     votes: 11, answers: 1
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4765260/criticize-simple-monad

   * Parsing function in haskell
     votes: 8, answers: 1
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4711893/parsing-function-in-haskell

   * Possible optimizations in Haskell that are not yet implemented in GHC?
     votes: 7, answers: 1
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4720499/possible-optimizations-in-haskell-that-are-not-yet-implemented-in-ghc

   * Is there a Haskell/ML-like compiler to C?
     votes: 6, answers: 3
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4722439/is-there-a-haskell-ml-like-compiler-to-c

   * How to find the longest word in list?
     votes: 5, answers: 4
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4708028/how-to-find-the-longest-word-in-list

About the Haskell Weekly News

   You can find an html version of this newsletter at:
   http://contemplatecode.blogspot.com/2011/01/haskell-weekly-news-issue-166.html

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
   dstcruz at gmail.com. I'm in dire need of finding good "quotes of the
   week". If you happen to come across any, please don't hesitate to send
   it along.

   Until next time,
   Daniel Santa Cruz