[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: regex-applicative-0.1

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sun Jul 3 21:32:56 CEST 2011

I am glad to announce the initial release of regex-applicative.

Hackage:      http://hackage.haskell.org/package/regex-applicative
Repository:   https://github.com/feuerbach/regex-applicative
Issues:       https://github.com/feuerbach/regex-applicative/issues

regex-applicative is aimed to be an efficient and easy to use parsing combinator
library based on regular expressions.

Perl programmers often use regular expressions for parsing, even if it is not
an appropriate tool for the job, because Perl has so good support for regexps.

The opposite seems to be valid about Haskell programmers -- they use parsing
combinators (which recognize context-free or even context-sensitive grammars),
even when the language is actually regular!

Hopefully, this library will improve the situation.

This is an early preview release. Some features are lacking, and performance is
probably not very good yet.

Among the features that we are going to support in future versions are:

    * Non-greedy operators
    * Search-and-replace functionality
    * Error reporting

The implementation is heavily based on the ideas from "A Play on Regular
Expressions" by Sebastian Fischer, Frank Huch and Thomas Wilke.
http://sebfisch.github.com/haskell-regexp/regexp-play.pdf