[Haskell] cabal conflicting rules

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Oct 24 22:51:06 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Thomas Friedrich <info at suud.de> wrote:
> You probably have some packages of yours installed as user and some
> others globally.  Have a look at:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/FAQ.html#dependencies-conflict
>
> I recommend that as soon as you have a running Haskell Platform to
> always install new packages with cabal install ... --user

While I arrived at the same conclusion independently, it seems to
contradict the recommendation found at
http://ivanmiljenovic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/repeat-after-me-cabal-is-not-a-package-manager/.

But every time I try shifting between using the package manager (which
uses cabal install with a system-wide database) and building my own
packages, things break in horrible ways. Running cabal as root just
means the problems occur between root's private package db and the
system one, breaking things in even more interesting ways.

    <mike