[Haskell] ANNOUNCE basic-prelude-0.3

Dan Burton danburton.email at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:57:11 CEST 2012

We are pleased to announce a new release of basic-prelude.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/basic-prelude-0.3.0.0

We apparently weren't entirely clear about
the original purpose of basic-prelude,
and we got repeated feedback of the form
"where are the list functions?"

Somewhat in response to this, we decided to rename the BasicPrelude
module to CorePrelude. This module is an *incomplete* prelude,
and the goal of this module is to provide enhanced core Prelude
functionality
*without* making any controversial decisions. CorePrelude serves
as the core of Michael's ClassyPrelude, my ModularPrelude,
and now the new BasicPrelude module. (If you ever feel the need
to create your own Prelude replacement, we encourage you to
build it off of CorePrelude. If there is any reason that CorePrelude
would not be well-suited to this purpose, then please let us know!)
I believe that by using the same Core, it will be easier for these
various Prelude replacements to play nice with each other.

We created a new module, BasicPrelude
(not to be confused with the old BasicPrelude),
which *is* a fully-featured Prelude,
emphasizing the use of Text and FilePath, while also providing
most of the List functions that you know and love, with a few exceptions,
as documented. BasicPrelude is among the simplest examples of how
we intend CorePrelude to be used.

The next time you are working on a hobby project,
please try using BasicPrelude instead of regular Prelude,
and let us know how it goes!

{-# LANGUAGE NoImplicitPrelude #-}
{-# LANGUAGE OverloadedStrings #-}
import BasicPrelude