[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: vty-ui 1.6 released

Jonathan Daugherty jtd at galois.com
Sun Nov 4 00:12:30 CET 2012

Greetings,

I'm happy to announce the release of version 1.6 of the vty-ui
package.  This release focuses on the following changes, some of which
resolved long-standing GitHub issues:

 * Most uses of 'String' were replaced with 'Data.Text.Text'.
 * All built-in widgets are now capable of handling "wide" unicode
   characters (i.e., those requiring two terminal cells instead of
   one).  Corresponding support code is provided for widget authors.
 * Support for GHC 7.6 (with the help of the 'vty' package).

To realize support for wide characters, the text and text editing
widgets were heavily refactored.  As an added bonus, the text editor
widget now uses a zipper under the hood[1].  This resulted in a
signficant implementation and interface cleanup as well as added
testability and more QuickCheck properties.

You can obtain the release on Hackage or from the vty-ui project site
at

  http://jtdaugherty.github.com/vty-ui/

The user's manual for 1.6 can be obtained at

  http://jtdaugherty.github.com/vty-ui/manuals/vty-ui-users-manual-1.6.pdf

For a comprehensive list of API changes and other noteworthy trivia,
see

  https://github.com/jtdaugherty/vty-ui/blob/master/CHANGELOG

As always, check out the demo programs to get a feel for what the
library can do.

Thanks to Corey O'Connor, the maintainer of vty, for fixing bugs and
exposing unicode character width functionality in vty.  Thanks also to
the folks on the GitHub issues who patiently waited for me to find
time to do all of the work that went into this release. :)

Enjoy!

[1] Graphics.Vty.Widgets.TextZipper.

--
  Jonathan Daugherty