[Haskell] ANN: New York Haskell Users Group -- First Meeting on Wed., Nov 14.

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:20:20 CEST 2012

The (arguably) greatest city in the U.S. now (finally) has a users
group for (unarguably) the greatest programming language anywhere.
We're very happy to announce the inaugural meeting of the New York
Haskell Users Group. We intend this group to be welcoming to new
developers, but with enough substance to keep old Haskell hands
interested and amused. If you're in the area but can't make it, you
can join the meetup regardless at http://www.meetup.com/NY-Haskell/ to
stay informed of future events. We plan to have a mix of talks and
experience reports at all levels, so if you will be passing through
town and might have something to say, let us know!

Two Haskell Talks:
Practical Data Processing With Haskell _and_ Putting Cloud Haskell to Work

Wednesday, November 14, 2012
7:00 PM To 9:00 PM

Pivotal Labs, 841 Broadway New York, NY

RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/NY-Haskell/

We're kicking off the New York Haskell Users Group with two great
talks, one for people just getting started and one for those with some
experience already. Both should be accessible and enjoyable no matter
how much (or little) you already know. Food and refreshments will be
provided, courtesy of the generosity of Pivotal Labs, and after the
talks, we're planning to keep the discussion going over food and drink
at a nearby establishment.

7pm - Practical Data Processing With Haskell:
Ozgun Ataman will give an introductory talk on Haskell, diving right
in with how you can start using Haskell for practical data
manipulation tasks today. You'll be introduced to a typical setup for
Haskell development and given a demonstration of how a common data
format (CSV, JSON, etc.) can be parsed, processed and finally output
using Haskell. The talk will include a small actual Haskell program to
be modified live and some commentary around using Haskell in practical
applications.

8pm - Putting Cloud Haskell to Work for Distributed Computing:
Gershom Bazerman will give an overview of the new distributed-process
library that implements Cloud Haskell, providing computation across
heterogeneous nodes through a message passing interface. He will
discuss what this new tool provides out of the box, and what you'll
have to bring to the table. The talk will include some code samples
using the new library, as well as some experience about what it's like
to use Haskell for distributed computing in the real world.

Speaker Biographies: Ozgun Ataman is the founder of Soostone, a
managment consulting and analytics company built on Haskell. He is the
author of many open-source Haskell libraries, and is a contributor to
the Snap web framework. Gershom Bazerman is a developer at S&P Capital
IQ. He is most well known in the Haskell community as the author of
the JMacro library for programmatic generation of JavaScript, and for
one well-received April fools joke.