[Hat] Quick question

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 10:10:20 EDT 2005

Hi Arjan,

> I have a quick question about Hat. Can Hat be used to trace an
> IO-intensive application with a GUI written in wxHaskell?

Being I/O intensive is not a problem.  The GUI aspect should be OK -
although at the moment there is no way (for instance) to "replay"
the state of the GUI windows and then select an erroneous "snapshot"
of how the screen looks.  Instead, you will need to think in terms
of the source code actions, perhaps choosing one in hat-observe then
using hat-trail to go backwards from there.

the fact you are using the wxHaskell libraries may be the biggest
problem.  You will need to transform the entire wxHaskell sources
(maybe with -trusted) before you can trace anything.  I recall the
wx build system was quite large, so it may take some time to work out
the best way to do this.  Also, I think wx is almost pure haskell'98 +
FFI, which is good, but it is possible that it depends on some other
libraries not yet supported in Hat - so you would need to transform
those too.

If you have any difficulties, ask for help on this list.

Regards,
    Malcolm