[HOpenGL] Compiling HOpenGL under recent versions of GHC

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Tue May 18 23:20:17 EDT 2004

Andres Loeh wrote:
> [...] There's a small problem even then:
>
> Just a few days ago, I wanted to test HOpenGL for something and
> noticed the following (which happens both with the CVS version and
> with 6.2.1):
>
> $ ghci-cvs -package OpenGL
>    ___         ___ _
>   / _ \ /\  /\/ __(_)
>  / /_\// /_/ / /  | |      GHC Interactive, version 6.3, for Haskell 98.
> / /_\\/ __  / /___| |      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
> \____/\/ /_/\____/|_|      Type :? for help.

> (/usr/lib/libGLU.so: undefined symbol: glPixelStorei)
>
> I noticed that a similar problem has been discussed a while ago on the
> hopengl mailing list, and according to that thread, I found a
> solution, namely to edit ghc's package.conf file and to make sure
> that -lGL comes before -lGLU in extra_ld_opts. [...]

*sigh* This seems to be a NeverEnding Story (tm)...  :-P  It works fine on my
SuSE x86 Linux (8.2 and 9.1) Just to be sure: What exactly does work and what
doesn't on Gentoo?

    * Building an executable using OpenGL with GHC 6.2.1
    * Calling ghci (6.2.1) with "-package OpenGL"
    * and the same two tests with the current CVS HEAD

It would be good to know all 4 combinations. Meanwhile I'll try to dig out
a few old emails on this topic. Differences like this even between two Linuxes
are really annoying... For further information on this refreshing topic, see:

    http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/unix-haters.html

:-}

Cheers,
    S.