[HOpenGL] Compiling HOpenGL under recent versions of GHC

Andres Loeh andres at cs.uu.nl
Fri May 21 10:53:16 EDT 2004

> Andres Loeh wrote:
> >Thanks for the pointer -- I had seen some other thread, but not this
> >one. The dependencies still seem to be "broken" in Gentoo, but
> >apparently SuSE also patches, so it's really broken somewhere else.
>
> Hmmm, I've just had a look at the Gentoo package list and the Mesa version
> seems to be 3.5, which is almost 3 years old. Is this really what is used
> on current Gentoo systems? There have been tons of bug fixes and feature
> additions since then in the Mesa libs.

This is an excerpt from Gentoo's package.mask file:

# Only use the mesa and mesa-glu provided with x11-base/xfree,
# as the external ones gives problems in most cases with DRI/DRM.
# Nvidia users do not use it anyhow, and tdfx users report that
# it works fine with the mesa included with xfree.  If you do
# unmask these, make sure that you know what you are doing, and
# know that if anything breaks, then you get to keep the pieces.
#
# azarah (26 May 2002)
>=media-libs/mesa-3.0
>=media-libs/mesa-glu-3.0
>=media-libs/sgi-oss-glu-1.0
>=media-libs/oss-opengl-glu-1.0

This means that the 3.5 mesa package is masked and cannot be used by
Gentoo users except if they edit the package.mask file first. I do not
know if the reason still applies, though.

On the other hand, the xfree-4.3.0-r6.ebuild does indeed read

PROVIDE="virtual/x11
        virtual/opengl
        virtual/glu
        virtual/xft"

I'd still like to solve the whole problem, but I can not invest many
hours right now. I'll see what I can do ...

Best,
  Andres