[HOpenGL] Pure, garbage-collected graphics resources

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Jul 21 12:15:17 EDT 2009

Thanks for these comments

> Anyway, I've not a clear picture of what you have in mind (especially,
> at which point in time a, say, VBO should be considered to be part of
> things to be rendered). Often, a data structure (say Blah) is created
> in a pure way then given to some kind of run :: Blah -> IO () function
> for "interpretation". Why not mirror the OpenGL API in a purely
> data-centric way then give the data to the run function ?

This "data-centric" style (I like that term) is exactly what I like to do in
all of my libraries, and it's what I'm doing again now.  OpenGL types are
hidden in the library implementation, and the exposed semantics is
unaffected by the imperativeness of OpenGL (just as the semantics of Integer
is unaffected by the imperativeness of 'print').

And then I find myself in an implementation puzzle.  My 'run' function (for
the purely functional type) involves creating VBOs and textures, which
greatly accelerate rendering.  I want to *reuse* these resources without
mutation (i.e. reuse the content, not the memory), which is easy if they're
wrapped up as functional values that go into my higher-level functional
values, but tricky if they get created only during 'run'.  Another example
is shader programs, which I synthesize and then never mutate.

Since I'm using this graphics data in a purely functional way, I want both
creation and destruction to be handled in a functional way, i.e., lazy
evaluation and garbage collection, with no visible IO.  I think we can
finally get there, now that we have dependable prompt execution of C-based
finalizers.

However, I do not think robust finalization can be added on top of the Ptr
type, which is used in HOpenGL, because GHC optimizations often drop
constructors (like Ptr) keeping only the contents, which allows finalizers
to get called much too soon.  Some examples of this general problem are
mentioned in the addFinalizer documentation [1].  I think a solution would
be to replace Ptr with ForeignPtr in HOpenGL.

   - Conal

[1]
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/System-Mem-Weak.html#v%3AaddFinalizer