[HOpenGL] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: OpenGLRaw 1.0.0.0

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Wed Jun 17 13:35:07 EDT 2009

Am Sunday 14 June 2009 23:08:56 schrieben Sie:
> Sven Panne schrieb:
> > Nevertheless, with OpenGL 3.1 GLU is dead,
>
> Are you sure?
>
> glu is mainly for converting an arbitrary polygon into triangles. This
> is an art and so obviously wasn't put into hardware or driver.

Well, I *am* sure. ;-) Let's look at the various parts of GLU:

   * Generation of mipmaps: Part of core OpenGL 3.1, so it's redundant
nowadays.

   * Matrix manipulation: Not part of OpenGL itself anymore, should probably
be in a separate math library, which would then offer *much* more.

   * Tessellation: Should reside in a separate, more flexible tessellation
library. Has a horrible interface in GLU.

   * Quadrics: Immediate mode and display lists are not part of OpenGL
anymore, consequently these quadrics are deprecated.

   * NURBS: Basically the same as for tessellation.

In a nutshell: Some parts of GLU are useless/deprecated nowadays, other parts
should be in separate, much more flexible and nicer libraries. Unless I missed
something, the last GLU spec (1.3) is from 1998, which is another indication
for its usefulness. But I won't remove it from my current OpenGL package,
because in its current state this package represents "old school" OpenGL,
anyway...

Cheers,
   S.