[HOpenGL] FYI: Haskell Platform release candidates

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sat May 2 11:58:23 EDT 2009

Having stumbled over recent activities on the long-silent Haskell
Platform mailing list, I have noticed few OpenGL voices. So, for
those here who haven't yet seen the Haskell Platform (HP) discussions:

- now is the time to make sure that using OpenGL with Haskell
    will once again be as easy on all platforms as it used to be before
    GHC dropped the ball. This is what your clients will use to run
    your code (at least those clients who don't install OpenGL/GLUT
    themselves just to try out your code), so it might be a good idea
    to check that it works on your platforms.

- initial release appears imminent, so it is too late to get bug fixes
    in now, but you could test the installer release candidates.

- a bug fix release of the HP seems planned within a few weeks,
    and Sven is obviously working through old emails/bug reports,
    prompted by the surprising change in gear for the HP, so this
    would be a good time to bring out any hidden bug reports, or
    OpenGL issues with the HP (I understand that Sven's recent
    patches will be in the first bug fix release of the HP, not in the
    initial release - HP policy arguments).

- I'm not sure whether the HP policy arguments would affect Sven's
    recent feature additions - they won't be in the initial HP release,
    but the question is whether they'll be in the planned bug-fix release,
    soon, or in the next major HP release, which is nowhere near.

    OpenAL/ALUT seem to be in the latter category, if at all:
    http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-platform/2009-April/000120.html
    http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-platform/2009-April/000140.html

Just thought you might want to know,
Claus