[HOpenGL] FYI: Haskell Platform release candidates

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat May 2 12:36:34 EDT 2009

Am Samstag, 2. Mai 2009 17:58:23 schrieb Claus Reinke:
>    [...] so it might be a good idea to check that it works on your
>    platforms.

Exactly. Of course reports about problems and suggestions for improvements are
always welcome, but I wouldn't mind reports about working platforms, too.
Currently I don't have a clear picture which package works where...

> - initial release appears imminent, so it is too late to get bug fixes
>     in now, but you could test the installer release candidates. [...]

Regarding the OpenGL/GLUT packages I would consider the upcoming HP release
alpha quality only, because all the recent bug fixes will *not* be included.
Nevertheless, give it a try to see if the installer/RPM/whatever works and for
serious work, wait for the next minor release of the HP.

This raises a point which is a bit unclear, at least for me: Where do users of
the HP report a bug? It can be a bit tricky to decide if it's only a packaging
bug, which I can't fix, or a real bug in the OpenGL/GLUT binding. Has this
been discussed in the "HP inner circle"?

> - I'm not sure whether the HP policy arguments would affect Sven's
>     recent feature additions - they won't be in the initial HP release,
>     but the question is whether they'll be in the planned bug-fix release,
>     soon, or in the next major HP release, which is nowhere near. [...]

I really, really hope that the minor HP release will allow feature additions
where the major version number of the package stays the same. Everything else
would bring down distribution of much-wanted features to a crawl and force
people to install the packages by hand once again. But again, I don't have a
clue what the HP people decided about this...

> Windows installer RC (does *not* include glut32.dll):
> http://projects.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-platform/2009-May/000147.html

Personally I hope this will get fixed for the initial release, otherwise the
HP will be only semi-functional out-of-the-box.

Cheers,
   S.