[HOpenGL] hopengl 2.4.0.1 slowdown

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun Sep 20 07:09:57 EDT 2009

Am Sonntag, 13. September 2009 18:03:30 schrieb Csaba Hruska:
> Hi! I've upgraded my haskell programs to opengl 2.4.0.1 and I've noticed
> massive (3X) slowdown.
> I did only type fixes on code.
> Is it normal?

No, it isn't. The only circumstances I can think of where you could perhaps
notice some slowdown are using an Haskell interpreter *and* massively using
OpenGL's deprecated immediate mode (glBegin/glEnd a.k.a. renderPrimitive). But
even then a factor of 3 would be surprising, because stripping away the
newtypes for the basic OpenGL types shouldn't be that costly. A compiler like
GHC should "compile away" those newtypes, so there should be no difference in
the performance then.

Could you post your old code and your new code where you observed the
slowdown, please?

Cheers,
   S.