[HOpenGL] Maintaining the OpenAL and ALUT packages

Andrew Miller andrew at amxl.com
Thu Sep 22 00:30:15 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I haven't been able to get in touch with Sven Panne, who is also the
maintainer of the OpenAL and alut packages.

Given the conceptual similarity between OpenAL and ALUT, and the fact
there is no specific Haskell audio community, would anyone object if I
was to treat this list as the maintainer of those packages (or
alternatively, can anyone suggest any other lists that would better
serve as maintainer)?

Here are my proposals for patches to OpenAL and ALUT, respectively...
============================
With recent ghc and cabal versions, the ld-flags options don't seem to
do much when compiling which ghc (since ghc handles the invocation of
ld, and so the flags in the package description don't make it to the
linker).

This causes compilation of the shared library build of OpenAL to fail
for Windows platforms, since MinGW ld is fussy (by default) about there
not being symbols in a shared library that are not linked to an import
library.

I attach a patch which instead sets extra-libraries to include the
appropriate OpenAL library, which seems to fix the build.
============================
Here is a patch doing the same thing, but for ALUT; it also changes the
calling convention to be ccall, which seems to be required at least for
the official freealut Win32 binaries.

Finally, I also propose that the maintainer be changed to
hopengl at haskell.org in the package description of both packages.

Any feedback, either on the maintainership of the packages, or the
specific patch proposals, would be greatly appreciated. I propose that
in the absence of objection within a week or so, I upload the patched
packages to Hackage.

Best wishes,
Andrew Miller