WinHelp file

John.Velman@HSC.com John.Velman@HSC.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:06:02 -0700

I did think of this.  I also thought of scrambling during
downloading.  I downloaded hugs.hlp three times.  The first two,
I ran a diff on and they were the same--neither worked.  The
third time I carefully avoided all contact with Cygwin.

I double clicked on the WinHelp link on the Hugs web page and
netscape tried to read it with it's winhelp application.  It
gave mostly garbage, but ending in
---
=A1hc    ?=FE=0E.xB=E1)i=ECnf)=08=D9=D00=08=F7=08#=15=06=B5=BD=06=E1`f =
:: =14=01%=03
)M=13=04=B3=04=14=B3c=A5=1CcT=17/
=DF"      =A9=A9=E9;g ?  names [<pattern> ...]cal summary of Hugs 98<pa=
th>

----

Not to be stopped by so obvious a problem with the original
file, I downloaded it into a directory that has never been touched
by Cygwin.  Then, with windows explorer, I double clicked on
this new copy.  Same message as before:  ..not a windows help
file.

?

Perhaps help files have different binary formats in win98, win2000,
and NT?   Darned if I know.  I have been pretty careful not to
learn too much about either NT or win98 so far.  And nothing
about win2000 or winME  (Once I was pretty good at win3.1, though).

THanks for the try,

John Velman

John Velman

"Alastair Reid" <reid@cs.utah.edu> on 04/11/2001 03:30:43 PM