Hugs on MacOS X 10.2

Johan Nordlander nordland@tt.luth.se
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:32:05 +0200

Dear MacOS X users,

As some of you have reported already, the latest MacOS X version (10.2)
breaks hugs.  After going through the hurdles of upgrading and fixing
the problems myself, I'd like share my findings.

Most importantly, the current binary distribution won't run under 10.2
due to some dynamic linking problem that I haven't investigated in any
depth.  A simple recompilation solves that problem, though.  I've
updated the binary package on the hugs download page, so a simple
install of that package should solve the linking problem (note that the
name is still the same as the old one).  If you'd rather compile the
source distribution yourself that should work just fine as well.

However, MacOS X 10.2 presents a few other problems for hugs users as
well.

Firstly, the way tcsh finds its rc files has been changed.  So if you
(like me) relied on a system-wide script to find your rc files in
~/Library/init/tcsh/ you'll probably notice that your files aren't read
anymore, and (worse), /usr/local/bin/ isn't in your default path.  This
means that hugs won't be found after you've installed it.  The README
file in /usr/share/tcsh/examples/ will tell you how to restore the old
functionality, though.

Secondly, if you did a clean install when you upgraded to 10.2 you'll
find that the entire /usr/local tree has been moved away to a backup
location, together with a bunch of other "system"-oriented directories.
  This won't affect hugs per se if you're reinstalling the new binary
package, but if you're also relying on other packages (like X11 or
readline), you might want to either reinstall those, or move them back
from the backup directory.  The backed-up file are found in /Previous\
Systems/.

Hope these tips will help hugs run smoothly on your Mac again!

-- Johan