[Hugs-users] Hugs98-plus-Sept2006

Dave at haskell.org Dave at haskell.org
Sat Dec 9 06:40:42 EST 2006

I am learning Haskell by reading the book _The Haskell Road to
Logic, Maths and Programming_ and by using Hugs98_plus_sep2006 which
I have downloaded, built and installed on my AMD 64-bit OpenBSD
system.  The books says that Hugs will show the prompt 'Prelude>'
initially until a script is loaded. The version of Hugs installed
on my system shows initially the prompt 'Hugs>' and invoking several functions
(primMinInt, primMaxInt, etc.) generate the error message to be undefined. Does Hugs
still exhibit the behavior described in the book, or is there a
problem with the newly ported Hugs on my system?

/home/daf}hugs
__   __ __  __  ____   ___      _________________________________________
||   || ||  || ||  || ||__      Hugs 98: Based on the Haskell 98 standard
||___|| ||__|| ||__||  __||     Copyright (c) 1994-2005
||---||         ___||           World Wide Web: http://haskell.org/hugs
||   ||                         Bugs: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hugs
||   || Version: September 2006 _________________________________________

Haskell 98 mode: Restart with command line option -98 to enable extensions

Type :? for help
Hugs> primMinInt
ERROR - Undefined variable "primMinInt"
Hugs> primMaxInt
ERROR - Undefined variable "primMaxInt"
Hugs> :names *prim*Int
Hugs.Prelude.primCharToInt Hugs.Prelude.primCmpInt Hugs.Prelude.primDivInt
Hugs.Prelude.primEqInt Hugs.Prelude.primIntegerToInt Hugs.Prelude.primMaxInt
Hugs.Prelude.primMinInt Hugs.Prelude.primMinusInt Hugs.Prelude.primModInt
Hugs.Prelude.primMulInt Hugs.Prelude.primNegInt Hugs.Prelude.primPlusInt Hugs.Prelude.primPmInt
Hugs.Prelude.primQrmInt Hugs.Prelude.primQuotInt Hugs.Prelude.primRemInt
Hugs.Prelude.primShowsInt
(17 names listed)
Hugs> primCharToInt 'a'
ERROR - Undefined variable "primCharToInt"
Hugs>

Thanks,

Dave Feustel